Posted to uk.d-i-y
Windmill[_5_] Windmill[_5_] is offline

Default Sat signal loss until reboot

(Windmill) writes:

fred writes:

Can you turn off the LNB power on the receiver to separate the potential
of it being an LNB lockup rather than a steering issue?

That's an excellent idea. It can be done just by using the remote. And
I'm keen to do as much investigation from ground level as possible,
given the difficulty of getting onto the roof.

If it restores the LNB function it could still be a cabling issue with
movement causing transient interruptions to the LNB supply. I don't know
how sensitive LNBs are to such transients.

More info at last: Using the remote as you suggested to turn LNB power
off then on again restores function just as powering the receiver off
then on again does.

I put my trusty old Avo Mk. 8 on the receiver cable without doing this
properly (no low pass filter to the meter) but the receiver continued
to work anyway, as sometimes happens when you ignore what should really
be done.

I saw 12.5 volts going up to the roof, and no change in DC voltage when
things repeatedly stopped working during some rainy gusts.
Later (did I change the channel? Didn't think so, but maybe I must have
done) I saw 19.5 volts, and no more failures although the rain and wind
has died down.

It's still working, which is annoying because I've done nothing to fix
whatever is wrong, so it must still be wrong.
Maybe it'll fail again during the next gale.

Seems likely that I really should remake all the F connector
connections when I can next get up on the roof.

Was unhappy to discover when hooking up the Avo that not only does the
cable have just copper-coated-steel inner conductor, but that the outer
braid over the foil can't be soldered because it is (I think) aluminium
braid.
Which sounds to me like an accident waiting to happen.

--
Windmill,
Use t m i l l