Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Neighbors fence on my property.

On Saturday, October 5, 2013 3:29:48 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 20:19:23 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

On Friday, October 4, 2013 8:51:49 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:32:29 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

wrote:

And with that, dear readers, forget about any further discussion about the

OP's property line.

Of course. The OP has not returned for further comments.

How much more discussion about the property line was needed?

The OP made one post on a subject that was beat to death here

with a similar fence problem about a month ago. Despite dozens

of posts, OP hasn't been

heard from since. And the posting had already degenerated

into really useful comments, like how the neighbor who's

been a prick for 7 years might be just having a bad day

because his hip hurts, from some posters who didn't even

read the facts of the post by the OP to begin with.

I can't believe you brought that up once, let alone twice. The OP

keeps track of the details, not me.

I see, so better to bloviate without even caring about
what the situation was, what the OP actually posted.
Lose track of the fact that the
OP said the neighbor has been a prick for 7 years and
that she just spoke to him about the current issue and
he was uncooperative, hostile, etc.

But throw into the mix that maybe he's just having a bad
day because of his hip. A bad day for 7 years. Right, got it.

If the neighbor was hostile just

the previous day, the OP should allow for that when deciding what to

do, but it does't mean there is no technique patterned after mine that

will work.

No, it doesn't mean there is no chance. There is some non-zero
chance that if you bake a cake and take it to Charlie Manson,
he will reform his ways too. It's just that with 7 years
history in this case and the guy still being an AH today,
I think that approach isn't going to work and that it makes
you a pussy in the eyes of a skunk, further encouraging them.

One point you probably missed from my stories is that it's often

important not to humiliate the other guy. When I met the guy with

the newspaper on the sidewalk, instead of just Thanks I could have

said, Stop stealing our paper, jackass. That would have made you

happy but it would have humiliated him a lot and then angered him, and

since we were never watching the ground level floor between 4 and 5 he

would have continued to take the paper. What I did was humiliate him

a little, but he was grateful (whether he thought about it or not)

that I didn't totally unload on him. So he stopped.

I didn't say you should totally unload on him. I just said
that if I know someone has been stealing my newspaper regularly,
what you did wouldn't be my approach.

You seem to care less about getting a desired result than about

beating your chest like Tarzan and showing how powerful you are, but

some of the times you do that, you'll be less powerful than I am,

because I know how to get what I want.

Yeah, I'm going to stand up for my rights. I'm not gonna
kiss the ass of a thief.

Now I haven't gotten you

to shut up, but I havent' been trying, since that isn't nearly as

important as receiving the newspaper or watching the movie in quiet.

At least I can read a post and respond to it without ignoring
all the key parts.