Posted to rec.woodworking
Gramps' shop Gramps' shop is offline

Default Finishing problem - blotchy maple

Ray ...

That is an amazing collection of work. Thanks for sharing!

Larry

On Saturday, October 5, 2013 7:21:05 AM UTC-5, Ray wrote:
I have done a fair number of curly maple pieces. What I have found is

that any cut surface that are lightly sanded will come out blotchy. I

must use sandpaper to tame the wild cross grain. Sometimes I start

out with 36 grit. End grain is next to impossible. When I turn maple

bowls I do segmented turning to avoid end grain.

Some of my maple pieces are at

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra.../woodwork.html

I use maple because I got a batch of about 150 board feet for $50. I

am still working on it.

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 18:38:14 -0700 (PDT), MJ

wrote:

Ok, I am working on a rocker and I am applying a finish to the rear splats that are rounded.

I've made them out of maple - curly - and applied a Watco finish to the first three. Ugly blotchiness. I read to use the Minwax stain conditioner, so I bought a small can and applied it to a test piece. I applied the conditioner and then applied the Watco. Still the same problem.

Everything is sanded to 220.

I'm next thinking of using a thin coat of shellac first then applying the Watco. Question - is this the best course of action? Of course, I'll try it on a test piece first. I know I'll end up with a lighter color then what I had before, but that will be ok.

Any help is most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

MJ