Posted to alt.home.repair
westom westom is offline
Senior Member

Default How to Choose, Buy, and Safely Use a Good Surge Protector

On Friday, October 4, 2013 11:22:13 AM UTC-4, wrote:
And you have two EE's here, Bud and myself, telling you you're
friend is wrong. But more importantly, you have the IEEE
surge protection guide that was written by not just electrical
engineers, but a half dozen or so who are experts in surge
protection.

IEEE papers even say plug-in protectors alone (no properly earthed 'whole house' protector) can make damage to appliances easier. I even quoted Martzloff's paper that says that. Unlike you, I did this stuff even decades ago as an EE. Not just educated. Also have experience doing this. We learned even from mistakes. We traced surges earthed by power strip protectors destructively through hardware. Traced paths for that current. And then replaced each semiconductor in that path to make all computers functional.

Every damaged part was in a path from an ineffective plug-in protector to earth ground. Computers never failed again when replaced as obsolete. Why? We earth a 'whole house' protector to make future surges irrelevant. So that all types of surges no longer caused damage.

Calling bud an EE is bogus. He did not even know many concepts taught in first semester EE courses. He did not even know about wire impedance. Did not know difference between normal mode and longitudinal mode currents. He did not even know all phone lines already had 'whole house' protectors. He did not know concepts that must be known to understand what protectors really do. He claimed that a protector somehow makes energy just disappear.

A 'whole house' protector is protection from all types of destructive surges - from lightning down to surges that even do not harm appliances. Plug-in protectors can contribute only if the always required earthing and a 'whole house' protector exist. He was an electrician who became a sales promoter of surge protectors. So he posts insults rather than quote facts and numbers from Martzloff and other industry professional. He does not even know that most of protection is always provided by earthing and 'whole house' protectors.

Never once does he or you post a single plug-in protector specification numbers that defines protection from typically destructive surges. For good reason. No manufacturer makes that numeric claim.

In every case, what do professionals define as essential for protection? Earth ground.

IEEE Guide repeatedly says why effective protector are earthed. Page 33 figure 8 show a plug-in protector earthing a surge 8000 volts destructively through nearby appliances ... because that surge was not earthed BEFORE entering the building. That protector earthed a surges on the best path - 8000 volts destructively through TV2. It was doing what the manufacturer said it would do.

Paragraphs after paragraph from that Guide are quoted here defining earth ground as essential for protection. You ignore those paragraphs to continue promoting protectors that have no earth ground? You even thought bud was an EE? Please. He did not even know concepts taught to first semester engineers.

Scary is that you actually think bud has electrical engineering training. He does not even understand basic EE concepts that electricians are never taught and need not know. He even thought impedance and resistance were same.