Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Finishing problem - blotchy maple

Options.
1. Tone it. This is a technique of adding color to the film finish (lacquer, shellac, poly). Minwax has a product call Polyshades that uses this concept. Kind of hard to get good results because it shows overlaps. The best way to do this technique is to use a shade lighter than you want and build a few coats to get your color. This will not accentuate the figure, it is just a way to sort of add some color.

2. Use Dye.

Examples of this technique
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images...es/curly/1.jpg
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images...es/curly/2.jpg
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images...es/curly/3.jpg
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images...es/curly/4.jpg
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images...es/curly/5.jpg

Beautiful ... maybe because I'm colorblind, I would have said cherry,
not maple. That's how purty it is. Excellent!

The header on my ewoodshop.com website below is a mixture of stained and
toned maple, in a mix of old and new cabinets that I did in a kitchen
remodel last year:

http://static.squarespace.com/static...g?format=1500w

One of the trendy magazine things the past year or so in kitchen
cabinets is actually the blotchy maple look, maybe because it is so easy
to effect.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net