Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Finishing problem - blotchy maple

"MJ" wrote in message

Ok, I am working on a rocker and I am applying a finish
to the rear splats that are rounded.

I've made them out of maple - curly - and applied a
Watco finish to the first three. Ugly blotchiness. I read
to use the Minwax stain conditioner, so I bought a small
can and applied it to a test piece. I applied the
conditioner and then applied the Watco. Still the same
problem.

Everything is sanded to 220.

I'm next thinking of using a thin coat of shellac first
then applying the Watco. Question - is this the best
course of action?

No. There is no reason to apply Watco (oil) over shellac because Watco is a
penetrating finish and it can't penetrate the shellac. Oh, OK, Watco has a
tad of varnish too but not enough to even think of using it as a top coat;
it would wind up all sticky if you did.

--

dadiOH