Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default How to Choose, Buy, and Safely Use a Good Surge Protector

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 05:53:18 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:06:05 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 04:59:12 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 3:00:27 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:43:37 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:11:25 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

On Monday, September 30, 2013 12:54:00 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:10:33 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

Good grief. Read the IEEE guide. If you had decent surge

protectorion, all that damage could have likely been prevented.

The IEEE Guide shows that good protector too far from earth ground.

Nonsense it shows it by the TV and protecting the TV in fig 7.

In fig 8, it clearly shows two TV's. One uses a plug-in multi-port

surge protector and it's protected from the destructive surge.

The other TV, TV2 without a plug-in protector in the same diagram

is damaged by the surge. The IEEE guide then states:

"A second multi-port protector as shown in Fig. 7 is required to protect TV2"

I think westom wants a lightning rod on every appliance, cable / phone

lines, PC and garage door opener.

Yeah, he does say that you can't have any effective

surge protection without a direct earth ground. But,

he's not consistent. I don't remember who started the

thread a couple weeks ago about a surge protector on

an outside AC compressor. I think it might have been you?

In that thread, Tom agreed that the surge protector there

was OK. Yet that one has no earth ground.

many blank lines snipped because of Google

It was me. I had two threads: 1) would a whole house surge protector

interfere with the (SPD ) at my AC disconnect box. In the thread I was

shown a breaker to fit my breaker panel. 2) I just posted about a

(SPD) receptacle for a wall mount TV panel. I recall it was stated

that the cable box / etc. also needed surge protection.

see why I told him who I could trust?

That boy likes a good spanking here :-\

What's really bizarre is how *he* keeps bringing up the

diagrams in the IEEE guide that show plug-in protectors

being used effectively. Fig 8 shows that TV1, with a surge

protector, is not damaged. It shows that TV2 without one

is damaged. From that he concludes that plug-in surge

protectors actually cause damage, when the IEEE clearly

state right there below fig 8:

"A second multi-port protector as shown in Fig. 7 is required

to protect TV2"

Now that level of deception is something you don't see here

that often.

They guy is playin' games to avoid answering you and bud-.

I had a work computer network of 70 nodes - BANG - it took a hit from

a "brownout". Yes, I had the system protected. I supervised when it

was built.

Not one lightning rod present.

And how do you know it wouldn't have survived without the alleged

protection? You don't. We had several brownout and transformer blow

ups where I used to work and we didn't have anything damaged and we

had lots of computers and electronic equipment, three closets full of

network equipment for a 70,000 sf lab. All that ever happened was a

lot of reboots. The only protection was that most, but not all, stuff

was plugged into the typical commercial surge power strips that were

mostly 10 or more years old, you know, the ones that are supposed to

be replaced every couple years or after each event. And some were

daisy chained....

So, at work, you had surge protectors and equipment wasn't damaged. At

home you chose to have no surge protectors and a bunch of electrical

gear was destroyed. And from that, you conclude that surge protectors

don't work?

No, some had some cheap surge protectors and some didn't. And nothing

got damaged. At home the tree next to the house was hit by lighting

and a couple things were damaged, not surprisingly since it melted a

circuit breaker. My point was and is that in my decades of not

worrying about using the usual store bought surge protectors I've seen

zero evidence that they do the slightest good or that they are needed.

Take it up with the IEEE and all the various companies and
industries that deploy surge protection to protect their
equipment. The physics behind surge protection is sound
and well established. If you had a properly installed whole house surge protector at your panel, it's very likely that breaker would not have been fried and that some of the equipment that was damaged would have survived.. If you had multi-port plug-ins on the appliances like TVs that are connected to more than the AC, likely they would have survived too.

I'd like to see any credible reference that agrees with your
position that surge protection is useless and that 6 ft of
ordinary house wire will stop a surge. Apparently it didn't
stop yours.

The only thing I have ever referred to was the typical clap trap
regarding the tremendous need we are all alleged to have for the surge
protected power strips that so many people buy to pull their computer
into. I specifically said earlier that none of my comments had
anything to do with whole house surge protectors intended to handle
lightning strikes. And my long ago friend who was an EE and worked
for a surge protection company was very clear in his statements that
for the kind of stuff the power strips are going to protect against
you can get the same protection by sticking in a six foot extension
cord, or understand that if there was six+ feet of house wiring
between your computer plug and the source of the NON-Lighting surge
you were protected anyway. My experiences going thru many "power
events" without worrying about having a power strip surge protector
suggest to me that he was correct.