Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Amanda Riphnykhazova Amanda Riphnykhazova is offline

Default What to do when a key stops working on a Laptop keyboard?

Curiously enough, two months ago Verizon asked me whether I wanted insurance on my computers to cover this sort of thing!! A standard $90 for every repair and if they cant repair it, they provide a replacement (I'l bet!!) WIth the key and the melting and possibly the jack and the adapter, I cant see this being less than $90 to repair, - that jack is an absolute pig to get to.

Actually, the CFPB has announced a recall of certain other models of Targus adapter, see
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/06/t...s-due-to-burn/
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/04/...reds-overheat/
http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/30/news...dapter_recall/

I did know about the DC power jack because this adapter had already melted its tip and I have had to replace the jack once already: On that occasion I thought it a common problem with the jack placement on the mobo. Now I can see that it is the adapter, especially from Targus's attitude: When I contacted them about this, they said that as this had happened to me twice now, they wouldn't accept any liability!

(The Consumer Product Safety Board takes a different view)