Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default The WoodWright's Shop - Three Legged Chair

Yesterday's airing of the WoodWright's Shop showed the process of making a 3 legged stool (chair, seating). They commented on the history of 3 legged seating, being a standard long time ago, about 1300s - 1600s, I think it was.

About 25-30 yrs ago, I saw a 3 legged chair in a museum and thought "What's so special about that? I can build that. Simple geometry!"

I had taken pics of the museum chair, but don't have them anymore. That chair's base framing looked similar to this one: http://metmuseum.org/collections/sea...ections/191251
Also, the chair I saw didn't have armrests and had a one-board backrest.

The WoodWright project construction was similar to the museum chair I had seen.

When I returned from the museum trip, I tried to build a 3 legged chair (no supplied plans). It wasn't as easy as I thought. I made 3 sets of legs, before the 4th set was almost correct. I don't think my using tree limbs (raw, non-milled lumber) was the problem, either. Though my woodworking skills were not advanced, I certainly didn't think this project was that technically difficult, until I tried it. I realized THAT chair and similar museum pieces are in the museums for a reason.

I still have the chair I made, stashed in the barn. The seat is rope weaving, as back then I was practicing & learning how to weave rush, cane, etc. and I took this opportunity to practice this weaving technique. I had the rope handy, at the time. I've never replaced the rope with something more suitable.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...7636151944475/

This was a good learning project for me, back then.... learning the hard way? The WoodWright episode brought back the memories of my building, tackling the 3 legged chair project. I would encourage all to try a 3 legged chair or stool, as this, without a set of plans, i.e, you figure it out.

Sonny