Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Wall warts seem to be taking over the world...

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
On 02/10/2013 00:40, Graham. wrote:
On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 21:25:08 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 21:06:24 +0100, alan wrote:

Just watch for the spacing of the sockets on the cheaper extensions.
Many wall warts are wider/longer than a standard plug.

Not many are wider these day with the demise of the iron transformer.

Longer can be a problem, quite a few have the outlet wire coming from
the end adjacent to the earth pin not from the L & N pin end like a
normal flex.

I have a theory about that. I think the Chinese have the idea that our
13A socket is normally mounted earth pin downwards.

If you are unconvinced, look at the label orientation on these warts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/1...4683/lightbox/

Perhaps the Chinese mount their OWN 13A sockets that way up? After all,
while far from universal, they are one of the Chinese standards. (So I
have read - never actually been there!)

Insofar as 13A was the Hong Kong standard, they are a Chinese standard.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18