Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Choose, Buy, and Safely Use a Good Surge Protector

On 10/2/2013 6:41 PM, wrote:
network equipment for a 70,000 sf lab. All that ever happened was a
lot of reboots. The only protection was that most, but not all, stuff
was plugged into the typical commercial surge power strips that were
mostly 10 or more years old, you know, the ones that are supposed to
be replaced every couple years or after each event. And some were
daisy chained....

I think daisy chaining is silly.

So do I but sometimes one doesn't have a lot of choice. My cube at
work has *one* duplex outlet. I have four laptops plugged in, along
with several monitors, four lights, and a variety of test equipment -
probably 25 plugs. They don't care enough to fix the situation so I
don't either. BTW, I'm only one of a hundred or so engineers who have
such a kludge under their desk (some more, some less).

I'd like to see someone make a 25 recepticle outlet strip. Would come in
handy, for example, the house where the power was on and sign out front
"yes we have power, yes you may charge your cell phone". Or for
Kirwatt's desk.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus