Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What happens when an electrical motor dies?

On 10/1/13 9:06 PM, bob wrote:
If I set up an exhaust fan in the crawlspace that runs non stop,
eventually the motor would wear out and fail.
Would it go up in flame? Or are all motors used in the usa required to
shutdown gracefully?

Alot of fans/motors are used in commercial applications. I can't imagine
them going up in flames at the end of their lives.

The motors I'm around are three phase, 480 volt. I've seen wiring
going to them burn but not the actual motor. You might want to put the
wiring in conduit. The motors sometimes get awfully hot when they fail.
More knowledgeable people here might be able to recommend some sort
of motor starter as an additional safeguard.