Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default What to do when a key stops working on a Laptop keyboard?

On 10/2/2013 11:42 AM, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
Anyone know anything about this common problem please?

My L key has stopped working. Doesn’t seem to be dust or dirt (or a spill), it just stopped completely one day.

It doesnt seem difficult to replace but I have seen mention of raising one side and spraying WD40 under the key.

Anyone known this to work please?

It's extremely difficult to get relevant, competent help on the interweb
even when you disclose the exact make/model/age of your laptop.
Without it, the info you get is more related to what the guy had
for breakfast.

Designs vary, but many keys pop off easily if you pry in the right place,
and in pieces if you pry in the wrong place.
What's worse is that they sometimes rotate the assembly, so the
right place to pry varies among keys.

Designs vary, but many keyboards are constructed from two metalized plastic
sheets that are forced into contact by the keypress.
Liquid won't help if it doesn't get between the sheets.
And liquid between the sheets is way more likely to suck in
contaminants than cure anything.

WD40 is a very bad idea.

I've had some success disassembling the keyboard and swabbing between
the sheets, then reassembling the sheets. This is rarely effective
or worth the trouble unless you have no way to obtain a replacement
keyboard.