Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Amanda Riphnykhazova Amanda Riphnykhazova is offline

Default What to do when a key stops working on a Laptop keyboard?

On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 3:07:32 PM UTC-4, William Sommerwerck wrote:
The keys are electrically positioned on a grid. If one column or one row of

the grid goes out, then all the keys in that column or row will (probably) go

out. So it's not likely to be a problem with the internals.

That leaves the key switch itself (which would require dismantling), or

something keeping the key from being depressed all the way. It could very well

be -- as Scrooge would say -- "an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a

crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato". Pop the key cap, and see if

anything is caught under it.

OK Thanks, I suspected that even though I rarely undercoook potatoes, so I had discounted this possibility a bit

But what are the chances of breaking something while popping it out on an Asus laptop? I have had keys which pop off easily (and push straight back on again) and ones which were an absolute pig to get back on again!

A replacement keyboard on this unit isnt too expensive but the unit has already melted its targus tip twice, melting some of the casing when it did so.

So I am not particularly keen on spending much on this box!

You guys aren't impressed by 'the spray a bit of WD40 around the key' solution before risking breaking the (admittedly non-working) key?