Posted to uk.d-i-y
Windmill[_5_] Windmill[_5_] is offline

Default Sat signal loss until reboot

tony sayer writes:

In article , Windmill spam-no-
scribeth thus
tony sayer writes:

In article , Michael
Chare mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk.? scribeth thus
On 22/09/2013 02:36, Windmill wrote:
Michael Chare mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk writes:

On 20/09/2013 04:56, Windmill wrote:
In gusty winds, TV signals disappear and can only be restored by
powering the receiver off and on again. Or at least that's the only way
I've discovered so far to restore normal operation.

Just a thought. You say that this plays up until you reboot the system
and then it seems to be OK.

Just wondering if something in the sat RX is making it drift then when
re booted it corrects that alignment problem.

Might be an idea to watch it carefully under "fault" conditions whilst
getting SWMBO to re boot it and looking for and movement from it?...

My ex-SWMBO and I have for a long time now been separated by the Pond!

Ah!, sorry I thought there was another with you;!...

And when recently the BBC played that song sung by Rex Harrison about the
disasters caused by 'letting a woman into your life', I found myself
shouting my agreement.

Funny that a mate of mine has just that outlook he treats them as
expendable and mean just isn't the word for it either! .

And guess what as soon as ones gone there another turns up there!

.. round him like files;!...

Not how it works for me. But I don't treat them as expendable, I treat
them as unexploded bombs.

A replacement SWMBO is therefore wildly unlikely.

But if all else fails I'll maybe need to take an old LCD monitor with a
VGA input fed by an S-video to VGA converter up onto the roof and force
the reboot by turning the receiver's power on and off (should be able
to do that with a long mains cable).
I'd need some way to send the video up to the roof (did I see ads for
VGA over Cat5 drivers somewhere?). Or take the reciver up also.

Far cheaper than a SWMBO!

Not got a mate who could look at this whilst being re booted at all?..

I stopped going to the pub 10 years ago; too expensive.
And anyway a lot of the people I knew or was related to have 'shuffled
off this mortal coil' (Shakespeare obviously was observant about the
old gits' gait).

But the first thing to do is to re-make all coax connections, I think.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m