Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Choose, Buy, and Safely Use a Good Surge Protector

On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 3:00:27 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:43:37 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:11:25 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

On Monday, September 30, 2013 12:54:00 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:10:33 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

Good grief. Read the IEEE guide. If you had decent surge

protectorion, all that damage could have likely been prevented.

The IEEE Guide shows that good protector too far from earth ground.

Nonsense it shows it by the TV and protecting the TV in fig 7.

In fig 8, it clearly shows two TV's. One uses a plug-in multi-port

surge protector and it's protected from the destructive surge.

The other TV, TV2 without a plug-in protector in the same diagram

is damaged by the surge. The IEEE guide then states:

"A second multi-port protector as shown in Fig. 7 is required to protect TV2"

I think westom wants a lightning rod on every appliance, cable / phone

lines, PC and garage door opener.

Yeah, he does say that you can't have any effective

surge protection without a direct earth ground. But,

he's not consistent. I don't remember who started the

thread a couple weeks ago about a surge protector on

an outside AC compressor. I think it might have been you?

In that thread, Tom agreed that the surge protector there

was OK. Yet that one has no earth ground.

many blank lines snipped because of Google

It was me. I had two threads: 1) would a whole house surge protector

interfere with the (SPD ) at my AC disconnect box. In the thread I was

shown a breaker to fit my breaker panel. 2) I just posted about a

(SPD) receptacle for a wall mount TV panel. I recall it was stated

that the cable box / etc. also needed surge protection.

see why I told him who I could trust?

That boy likes a good spanking here :-\

What's really bizarre is how *he* keeps bringing up the

diagrams in the IEEE guide that show plug-in protectors

being used effectively. Fig 8 shows that TV1, with a surge

protector, is not damaged. It shows that TV2 without one

is damaged. From that he concludes that plug-in surge

protectors actually cause damage, when the IEEE clearly

state right there below fig 8:

"A second multi-port protector as shown in Fig. 7 is required

to protect TV2"

Now that level of deception is something you don't see here

that often.

They guy is playin' games to avoid answering you and bud-.

I had a work computer network of 70 nodes - BANG - it took a hit from

a "brownout". Yes, I had the system protected. I supervised when it

was built.

Not one lightning rod present.

And how do you know it wouldn't have survived without the alleged

protection? You don't. We had several brownout and transformer blow

ups where I used to work and we didn't have anything damaged and we

had lots of computers and electronic equipment, three closets full of

network equipment for a 70,000 sf lab. All that ever happened was a

lot of reboots. The only protection was that most, but not all, stuff

was plugged into the typical commercial surge power strips that were

mostly 10 or more years old, you know, the ones that are supposed to

be replaced every couple years or after each event. And some were

daisy chained....

So, at work, you had surge protectors and equipment wasn't damaged. At
home you chose to have no surge protectors and a bunch of electrical
gear was destroyed. And from that, you conclude that surge protectors
don't work?