Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall warts seem to be taking over the world...

On Wednesday 02 October 2013 08:39 Andrew May wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 01/10/2013 18:10, rbel wrote:
...or at least the area around my desk.

Having bought a new desk I decided to sort out the mare's nest of
cables that had accumulated behind the old one over the years. I was
amazed to find that I had 8 wall warts just for this relatively small
area. This does not include the 7 chargers used elsewhere in the
building for mobiles etc.

I really wanted to rationalise the various extension strips I have
under the desk and arrange to put the sockets somewhere more
accessible. The only options I can think of at the moment are either
two 6 gang switched extension leads fastened to one end of the desk or
four MK 3 gang switched socket outlets recessed into the end panel of
the desk. At least these would cover current needs and allow for a
couple of spare outlets.

How many, if any, are used to power something that could alternatively
be powered from a USB port on the computer? Could these be replaced by a
single powered USB hub and appropriate USB cables?

iPads, iPhones, Android phones and my bluetooth speaker system all
spring to mind for this treatment.

Andrew

Usually they are not charged all in one place - not in my house anyway.

I did think that USB plates in the wall might be an idea - but will USB be
around as long as 13A sockets?

The only thing for certain is 5V DC is quite ubiquitous - but of the USB
designers had forseen the rise of USB-as-power, perhaps they would have
chosen 12V?

Reading this on the web? See: