Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default dsa511 dsa524 Storage Scope woes

On 02/10/2013 04:37, Agent24 wrote:
I know this is an old thread but it was all I could find. I was given one of these DSA524s.

When I got it, I found that the battery was corroded and leaking. I do not know when that happened. I removed it and cleaned the board, but the DSA does not work. I set everything as the manual said but all I get is a small square wave on my CRO which seems to vary in frequency. There is no text or anything sensible.

Sometimes when I turn it on it makes repeated beeping noises as well along with relay clicking. When this happens there is sometimes other garbage on the CRO.

The ICs were all re-seated as I took them out when I washed the corrosion from the PCB.

I dumped the EPROM and you can find a copy he http://starwatcher-circuits.net23.net/DSA524/ I don't know if it's 100% correct but I took several dumps and they were all the same. Would be nice to compare it to someone else's from a working DSA524 though.

Does anyone have a suggestion what might be wrong?
Can it work without the battery, for testing? Or is the battery required for correct operation?

Thurlby?
my exploration of similar fault
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/repair4_1.htm