Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What happens when an electrical motor dies?

On 10/1/2013 10:06 PM, bob wrote:
If I set up an exhaust fan in the crawlspace that runs non stop,
eventually the motor would wear out and fail.
Would it go up in flame? Or are all motors used in the usa required to
shutdown gracefully?

Alot of fans/motors are used in commercial applications. I can't imagine
them going up in flames at the end of their lives.

Mine have either broken a wire, and gone open circuit. Or, the bearings
dry out, and they over heat. Often, that causes them to break a wire.

I'm sure motor fires have happened, but I can't say I know of one in my
life.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus