J. Clarke

Default Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

Charlie Self wrote:

xrongor responds:

im not going to defend saw stop. but im not going to take it on the word
of
JClarke that it doesnt work either. the theory is sound, and they are
either totally faking those demonstrations, or i think its clear that less
people would be hurt with them even if it didnt work 100% of the time.

I've seen it work---with a hot dog--at least on video. I don't doubt the
theory works, but is the application practical. It prevents, primarily,
amputation style injuries. How many of those are there a year? Is it worth
having every table saw in the U.S. built, or retrofitted, with a device
that currently costs about $500 to save 50-60 people from their own
misbehavior? If the figure is even that high.

Yeah. They're talking $150 but that's not the price they're showing for the
products for which they're taking preorders. If the thing was a $150
retrofit and didn't get in the way of using the saw I'd order two of them
right now. Cheap insurance at that price. Not worth tossing a perfectly
good saw just to pay a lot more than it had cost me to buy theirs though.

That's what is more likely to cause this to become vaporware than any
doubt that it actually works. Economics. A proper crown guard with a
splitter will do about 95-90% (my guesstimate) of what the saw stop will
do. Total cost is probably about $50, and allows the makers to dump the
current crappy splitter/guard assemblies, to reduce costs even more.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended
from man."
H. L. Mencken

--
--John