J. Clarke

Default Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

xrongor wrote:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
xrongor responds:

im not going to defend saw stop. but im not going to take it on the
word

of
JClarke that it doesnt work either. the theory is sound, and they are
either totally faking those demonstrations, or i think its clear that

less
people would be hurt with them even if it didnt work 100% of the time.

I've seen it work---with a hot dog--at least on video. I don't doubt the

theory
works, but is the application practical. It prevents, primarily,

amputation
style injuries. How many of those are there a year? Is it worth having

every
table saw in the U.S. built, or retrofitted, with a device that currently

costs
about $500 to save 50-60 people from their own misbehavior? If the figure

is
even that high.

i never claimed it should be on every table saw. just that it probably
works. sawstop claims 3000 finger amputations per year. dont know if
thats
a real number. it also seems to me it would prevent at least 10 times as
many injuries but im just tossing a number out and have no evidence. is
it
worth 500 bucks? you decide.

but we're getting into this theory that sawstop is trying hard to make it
be
forced upon us. while that seems to be a persistant rumor, i have no
evidence or opinion either way on that issue. if it makes a statistically
significant (which is a number that could be debated) reduction in
accidents it should probably be considered.

http://www.sawstop.com/We_Need_Your_Help.htm

That's what is more likely to cause this to become vaporware than any

doubt
that it actually works. Economics. A proper crown guard with a splitter

will do
about 95-90% (my guesstimate) of what the saw stop will do. Total cost is
probably about $50, and allows the makers to dump the current crappy
splitter/guard assemblies, to reduce costs even more.

as explained in another post a few minutes ago, as defined by websters, if
you can buy one today, its not vaporware.

Where can I buy one?

it may have been vaporware for
the time between it being announced and a product being available...
sawstop claims they will sell you one today.

How do I go about getting them to sell me one today? Not a "non-binding
preorder" but an actual purchase?

if the product fails because
its too expensive thats another word... i think thats part of why theres
so much disagreement in this thread.

vaporware implies a product that doesnt exist or work. that the demo's
are
pure fakery or at least you arent seeing the whole picture. i see no
evidnece of either. yet.

The product may exist and work and yet never make it to market.

and if the saw companies dump the crappy spllitter/guard assemblies to
save money, then the addition of a (assuming it works) sawstop will
increase the price less than if they didnt dump the guards.

in any case, i think a splitter is still necessary. sawstop may stop the
saw from cutting you but wont stop a board from flying into your face..

randy

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)