Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone make a parts tumbler??

On Monday, September 30, 2013 8:56:44 AM UTC-4, SteveB wrote:
I want to make a parts tumbler, either a 55 gal size, or 5 gal. bucket

to clean and polish some parts. Anyone ever make one? What kind of

sand do you use? Tips?

Steve

I have started to build a vibratory tumbler. From what I have read, the drum tumblers are better for deburring and eliminating sharp edges and the vibratory ones are better for polishing parts.

I bought some crusded walnut shells from Harbor Freight. They had the best price if one uses a 20% off coupon, but then read something about buying media at pet stores. Walmart has one of the best prices for ground corn cobs.. I expect both the walnut shells and the ground corn cobs work better with a bit of something added. I plan on trying Bon Ami.

I am planning no something like the tumbler described in

http://www.jurai.net/~winter/tumbler/tumbler.html

Instead of using a threaded rod thru the bowl, I am planning on four threaded rods around the bowl.

Going to try using a fan motor from a scrap microwave oven with an eccentric weight.

Dan