Posted to rec.puzzles,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 512

Alexander Thesoso fired this volley in
:

If I were still in the invention business, I'd develop and patent an
accurate, precise microwave wood moisture measurement device, but I no
longer care.

You assume way too much.

First, the pins will be driven a specific distance into the end-grain of
the wood -- into which they will go straight. The operator is trained to
do so. The wood is freshly cut square to the grain for 'official'
measurements.

Second, the relative conductivity of the salts in various woods is well-
known and documented in easy-to-obtain tables. Hell... you can buy very
accurate wood moisture meters with such tables in most high-end
woodworking supplies.

Third, you are permitted to be happy. You may be even happier to know
that microwave ("radar") moisture detectors are already available for
wood analysis. But, then, you'd still need to know the specific "dry"
moisture level of each type of wood (which varies by species). You'd
also have to know the microwave penetration in each species. These are
both issues that are handled nicely by plunging electrodes a known, short
distance into the very core of the freshly-cut lumber.

I think you belittle too much things with which you don't have first-hand
experience.

Lloyd