Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Converting a 200W discharge lamp video projector to LED

That Osram with built in lens is discontinued, only came out 3 years ago.
I'm getting 7 of the LCW W5SM, white 2700K 120 degree and matching 7 off
6 degree hex shaped lenses.
The off the shelf 7 cell hex cluster lens is for parallel , not focused.
Using a 5 to 6 inch ball as a jig I'll combine the 7 as a focused cell.
With the lenses at 85% transmission, brings the 75 lumen per LED down to
64 lumen, so x 7 =450 lumen. Some heatsinky type protrusions added to
the LEDs to catch the fanned air.
When new the projector was rated 2000 lumen, although still taking 200W
, the light output is now much less. Combined with the poor optics of
these lamp setups I suspect fully directed into the light pipe 450 lm is
not much different to the present discharge lamp situation. Still plenty
of room to add another 6 plus lenses around the periphery to bring up to
900 lm.
Playing around with a scrapped colour wheel dicroic disc and assorted
white LEDs the red transmission , to eye anyway , is a lot lower than G
and B.
So I will get a number of red 100mA 5mm , 15 degree standard size LEDs
to add red, perhaps 6 at the interstices of the lenses, mounted to the
rear and between the SMD LEDs plus maybe another 6 around the periphery
to infill.
Good progress with the silvered "cone" for mop-up, front of PAR lamp
removed and bulb removed, about 3/4 way through grinding through the
thick glass with cintrided disc, to remove the barrel part. Previous
attempt with thinner glass photoflood failed. If I was brave or had a
load of these sort of lamps, I would try the old bottle cutter routine,
freezer spray and a ring of "fuse" wire around , fired up for the cut