Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11700 Ignoramus11700 is offline

Default need fricken LONG endmill

Karl, I think that most people would use a boring bar on the lathe in this
situation. Especially since you have a CNC and can write a program to
take off a small amount in each pass.

On 2013-09-29, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm trying to bore a 1" hole 12" to 14" long in a 1.75" square rod
PERFECTLY on center to my CHNC lathe...

Not an easy task. I wouldn't ask if it was easy. OK, a slight
misalignment at the center won't bother, so now I only need to bore
7".

My best idea to get it in perfect alignment is to mount an end mill
just under one inch in the spindle and bore with the square rod
mounted in position on the lathe. Then take the part out and bore to
correct diameter in the mill.

I just searched my stash, found a 5" long by 7/8" EM. I'd sure like
to find a longer one. Anybody have one? Quick search on fleabay, no
joy.

FWIW, I'm trying to gundrill 24" long in a lathe with 12" travel. The
drills mount in a one inch bore.

Karl