Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default need fricken LONG endmill

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm trying to bore a 1" hole 12" to 14" long in a 1.75" square rod
PERFECTLY on center to my CHNC lathe...

Not an easy task. I wouldn't ask if it was easy. OK, a slight
misalignment at the center won't bother, so now I only need to bore
7".

My best idea to get it in perfect alignment is to mount an end mill
just under one inch in the spindle and bore with the square rod
mounted in position on the lathe. Then take the part out and bore to
correct diameter in the mill.

I just searched my stash, found a 5" long by 7/8" EM. I'd sure like
to find a longer one. Anybody have one? Quick search on fleabay, no
joy.

FWIW, I'm trying to gundrill 24" long in a lathe with 12" travel. The
drills mount in a one inch bore.

Karl

Might it be easier to get 12" and 24" gun drills and just change drills
after you bottom out the shorter one? That way you don't have some sort
of monstrosity hanging off the toolholder.