Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default Can a "Dodge 2500" pick-up handle a 3,700 lbs load?

On 2013-09-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:58:30 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 13:09:53 -0500, Ignoramus795
wrote:

Any idea?

In the bed? Or towing?

Towing, yes.

In the bed? No.

Let me make a correction.

If you Properly palletize the load...you may..may be able to haul that
3000+ pounds a short distance...assuming you have no pot holes, speed
bumps and other shock causing interuptions. The power train is more
than capable. Thats a given. I think the 2500 has a 10,000 load range
if not more. Its the bed thats not designed to load that much dead
weight. It is afterall...sheet metal. And while you can put probably
4000 pounds in it..moving it means it becomes a "dynamic" load rather
than a static load. A properly set up 5th wheel travel trailer is
mounted to the frame..not the sheet metal.

I have a good steel sheet on top of the bed, and I can put that scorr
lift on 4x4s.

Excellent point, weight rating wise good, bed sheetmetal wise not good
without good load spreading. I rolled some dips in my bed from a palette
jack with only a couple k lbs. Forklifting fine, but don't let the load
concentrate.