Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative to Renting Light Towers

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 00:08:03 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 9/27/2013 10:04 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 19:59:06 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 9/27/2013 6:40 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:58:28 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 9/27/2013 10:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
sms wrote:
On 9/26/2013 10:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
They did that on one episode of MASH.

My gut sense is that the marine battery route might
work. Need to find someone who is competent to charge
them correctly. I've killed a marine battery by leaving
it on a Harbor Freight float charger, which dried it
out and it never came back to life.

I wonder if a couple halogen lamps from Harbor
Freight, and one or two small gasoline generators would
do the trick? Have the advantage of being backup power
for someone during the next power cut.

You're using generator and lights on towers -- so buy
your own?

Get every member of the band and their families to get a
free LED flashlight from Harbor Freight, dismantle the
lights, put the LED and reflector assemblies in several
frames, wire them up and power them off a few car
batteries. ^_^

I thought we'd give each kid a 500 lumen LED head lamp.

Duct tape one of these to each kid's head. That ought to be
enough light.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...560-led?pfm=sp

The old spotlights for the theaters were arc lights as were movie
projectors. The LED's are bright enough for theater spotlights
now but I wonder if some projectors are using LED's as a light
source. I seem to recall movie theaters getting movies in
digital format now so I wonder what those projectors are like?

Digital theater projectors use the TI DLP technology. Basically,
they shine a light at an array of micro-machines mirrors which
direct the light either to the screen or somewhere it can be
absorbed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...Digital_cinema

I don't believe LEDs aren't bright enough for theaters, though LED
sources are used for smaller projection monitors. I imagine
theaters use some sort of HID light sources.

Yea, I remember when the TI DLP tech was used in a lot of TV's and
was a lot more preferable to the plasma sets because the bulb could
be replaced in the DLP set if it burned out but if a plasma set
goes bad, you're screwed. Now we have an LED-LCD set at the house
replacing a wonderful old 57" Sony rear projection TV set that had
an expensive failure. The repair to the Sony would cost more than
what we paid for the new 55" LCD-LED set and I can pick up the new
set by myself. ^_^

But plasma TVs kick both their asses. ;-)

It's my understanding that the plasma TV sets had a superior picture to
the earlier LCD sets but if the plasma tube died, it would be more
expensive to replace it than the price of the same model TV which would
invariably fall to on a clearance sale as the newer models arrived.

Oh, hell no. They're all about the same cost to replace.

At
least the florescent light can be replaced in an LCD set if it goes
dark. I remember replacing dozens of 25" color CRT's with a rebuilt
picture tube back in the good old days and there was even a local
company rebuilding the darn things and a friend of mine ran a shop that
rebuilt mechanical TV tuners. It's hard to find a TV shop these days as
the sets have become less expensive which cracks me up since I ran a TV
shop back in the 1970's where we were selling a Sanyo 19" color CRT
mechanical tuner set for $300.00 and people were buying us out on a
regular basis. ^_^

Nobody fixes these things (out of warranty) anymore. Upgrade to the
latest model.