Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default How to Choose, Buy, and Safely Use a Good Surge Protector

On 9/27/2013 4:51 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Most of us have more devices than we have plugs in the wall, which is
why you'll likely find a surge protector behind most people's
televisions and under our desks. However, not all surge protectors are
alike, and some even put your gadgets at risk. We talked to an
electrician to sort out how to tell the good ones from the bad ones,
and how to use them safely.

Charles Ravenscraft (yes, that's Lifehacker writer Eric Ravenscraft's
brother) is a licensed union electrician, and sat down with me to talk
about how to choose the best surge protectors for your gadgets, and
how to avoid accidents, electrical fires, and other dangerous
situations when using them. Here's what you need to know.

Understand the Difference Between a Power Strip and a Surge Protector

How to Choose, Buy, and Safely Use a Good Surge Protector

First of all, not every power strip is a surge protector. It may sound
basic, but it's a fundamental piece of knowledge you'll need. While a
power strip just splits your outlet into multiple ports, a surge
protector is designed to protect your computer, TV, and other
electronics against power surges and any interference or noise on your
power line.

I haven't figured out how noise filters actually do anything useful.

Power surges may not be an everyday event, but they're
common enough that they can damage your equipment. Charles notes:

The main thing for people to pay attention too is that they are in
fact buying a "surge protector" and not a power strip. A consumer
should look for the words surge protection, fused strip, or
interrupter switch. If it says power strip on it it most likely does
not offer surge protection, so pay attention.

You'll almost certainly pay more for a surge protector than a power
strip, but it's worth it. If you're the type to head over to Amazon
and just buy whatever's cheapest, keep this in mind. Don't assume that
because it's in the same category as surge protectors, or even in the
department store hanging next to the surge protectors that it is one.
Choose the Right Surge Protector for Your Needs

How to Choose, Buy, and Safely Use a Good Surge Protector

There are five major points to consider when buying a surge protector.
They a

Buy the right number of ports. Don't just assume that every surge
protector is six or eight ports. Some of them, like one of my
favorites, sport 12 ports, well spaced so you can use them all. Buying
the right number of ports will make sure you don't have to daisy chain
surge protectors—something we'll get to in a moment.

A multiport protector is likely to refer to connections where coax and
phone can wire through the protector.

You should get a protector with enough outlet for what you want to
plug-in, and space around the outlet is need if you are plugging in wall
warts.

Consider the gear you'll plug into the surge protector. Think
about the things you're going to plug into the surge protector you're
buying. You can just go all out and buy the best you can afford, but
you'll save some money by buying a surge protector appropriate for the
equipment you'll use it with. Your TV and home entertainment center
will call for a more robust surge protector than the lamp and phone
charger on your nightstand, for example.

People use surge protectors for lamps?
I wouldn't use one for a phone charger either unless it was real easy to
use a protector that was around for more important equipment.
And if a load merits a surge protector why would some of them require
significantly less protection?

Check for the UL seal, and make sure it's a "transient voltage
surge suppressor." Making sure that the surge protector you're
planning to buy is both certified by Underwriter's Laboratories, and
at least meets their UL 1449 standards (required for the label
"transient voltage surge suppressor,") will make sure the surge
protector you take home will actually protect the equipment you plug
into it.

Actually UL "lists" equipment. It doesn't "certify".

Check the surge protector's energy absorption rating, and its
"clamping voltage." The absorption rating is, as the name implies, how
much energy it can absorb before it fails. You'll want something at
least 6-700 joules or higher. (Higher is better here.) The clamping
voltage is the voltage that will trigger the surge protector—or
essentially when the surge protector wakes up and starts absorbing
energy. Look for something around 400 V or less. Lower is better here.

330V is the lowest that is in the UL1449 listing standard. And lower is
not necessarily better.

Finally, see if response time is listed in the product details—it's
good to know, and lower is better.

Virtually all plug-in protectors use MOVs. MOVs are fast enough for any
surge. Response time is meaningless.

Check the warranty. Some surge protectors warranty the devices
connected to it for some amount of damages if a power surge does get
through. Check to see what's covered (and what isn't), and how you can
file a warranty claim if the surge protector fails.

Better be a major brand if you expect to use a warranty.

I would only buy a protector with a major brand name anyway.

Belkin Pivot-Plug Surge Protector
Amazon.com: $24.84

No idea what this is about.

Bottom line: Make sure you're informed before you buy, and read the
back of the box or the product details before you buy anything. You
don't want to invest in a surge protector only to find out that it's
far too weak to protect your devices, or it's a surge protector in
name only.

"In name only"?

If UL1449 listed at least a protector provides enough protection to
survive the surges included in the UL testing.

Charles notes that price shouldn't guide your decision,
either:

As far as cost, the most expensive is not always the best. The
best thing to do is figure out what you need to protect and buy
accordingly.

Related
Conserve Surge Protector Saves Energy, Money

Belkin's Conserve Surge Protector with timer knocks out the energy
drain from vampire devices that draw standby power even when they're…
Read…

I can't think of many places where some of these fancy expensive
features would be useful.

The protector for my computer and related stuff is accessible and I turn
it off.

If I turn the protector for my big TV and related stuff off, various
stuff loses programing.

You might also want to look into other features, like a surge
protector that automatically turn off when your devices turn off or
stop charging, or has a remote control that you can use to turn it on
or off along with the devices on them. The idea is especially good for
surge protectors connected to things that like to live in standby
mode, like game consoles and some TVs, and the remote control options
are great for surge protectors that are hard to get to.
Don't Daisy Chain Multiple Surge Protectors

Actually I agree with this.

How to Choose, Buy, and Safely Use a Good Surge Protector

Odds are you've daisy chained, or plugged a power strip into another
power strip or surge protector, when you were desperate for more
outlets. It's tempting, and it's easy, but it's also dangerous.
Charles explains:

As far as daisy chaining surge protectors, it doesn't work. The
first strip will trip if a second is plugged into it and used.

I agree with mike and trader that this is idiocy.

In
theory power strips can be daisy chained since they lack surge
protection, however I would severely advise against it.

It is actually a violation of UL listing to daisy chain power strips,
including surge protectors.

Remember in "A Christmas Story," when they had all those cords
plugged in at once and it blew a fuse? Yeah, it's kind of like that
except that overloading the circuit can create the source of ignition
for an electrical fire.

I suspect that is why UL doesn't want power strips daisy chained, but
with minimal intelligence overloading can be avoided.

So resist the urge to daisy chain your power strips, or plug a bunch
of power strips into a surge protector. It may be tempting, and you
may look at it from a "eh, it can't hurt if I just do it once"
perspective, but whenever you do it you're taking a risk that you need
to be clear-headed about when you do it. Frankly, we think it's not
worth it when you can buy a surge protector with more ports—or another
surge protector you can put next to your existing one—for a couple of
dollars.

Totally missing, as trader noted, and of major importance:
All interconnected equipment must be plugged into the same protector.
All external connections, including phone and cable, _must_ go through
the protector.

Any competent manufacturer will tell you the same thing. If you don't
observe that restriction you may well be better off not using a surge
protector.

For more reading, check out this Home Depot guide to surge protectors,
which includes not just surge protector strips like we've discussed,
but also whole-home surge protectors you can have installed and more
details on UL certifications for surge protectors. Similarly, this
guide from Tripplite will help you pick a good surge protector for
your needs (although remember Tripplite sells them, so they have a
vested interest). A little forethought, research, and safe practices
will go a long way towards making sure your gadgets are safe from
harm—and that you're not fumbling around behind your gear looking for
spare outlets.

Charles Ravenscraft is a certified union electrician. He graciously
volunteered his expertise for this post, and we thank him.

Electricians, union or otherwise, are not necessarily experts on surge
protection.

This one missed one of the most important points - all external
connections must go through the protector. The electrician on This Old
House, in a recent thread, missed the same thing.

Photos by Daniel R.Blume, Al Pavangkanan, Joy Mystic, and State Farm.

http://lifehacker.com/your-homes-ele...rou-1409892102