Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Choose, Buy, and Safely Use a Good Surge Protector

On Friday, September 27, 2013 7:29:44 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 18:51:19 -0400, Metspitzer

wrote:

Understand the Difference Between a Power Strip and a Surge Protector

See my recent threads (two) on surge protectors: HVAC disconnect and

whole house (breaker in the electric panel).

There is one poster to not follow for trust. He said something about a

direct ground to earth that was not applicable in my case.

I'm sure we'll be hearing from him shortly.

There is a lot of bait in that post just waiting for
him. IMO, it's not a very good article either. It misses
important points like buying a surge protector with
cable tv, Ethernet, phone ports in addition to AC outlets
for appliances that use more than just AC so everything
passes through it.

The daisy chaining part I've never heard before. This
guy is claiming that if you plug one surge protector
into another, the first one will trip? First, what's to
trip? The ones I've had, they jut have an on/off switch.
The MOVs inside just sit across the lines, shunting anything
over 400V, etc. So, what is there to trip? And even if
there was, I don't see why plugging one into another
would cause them to not operate correctly.