Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative to Renting Light Towers

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:58:28 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 9/27/2013 10:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
sms wrote:
On 9/26/2013 10:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
They did that on one episode of MASH.

My gut sense is that the marine battery route might
work. Need to find someone who is competent to charge
them correctly. I've killed a marine battery by
leaving it on a Harbor Freight float charger, which
dried it out and it never came back to life.

I wonder if a couple halogen lamps from Harbor Freight,
and one or two small gasoline generators would do the
trick? Have the advantage of being backup power for
someone during the next power cut.

You're using generator and lights on towers -- so buy
your own?

Get every member of the band and their families to get a free LED
flashlight from Harbor Freight, dismantle the lights, put the LED
and reflector assemblies in several frames, wire them up and power
them off a few car batteries. ^_^

I thought we'd give each kid a 500 lumen LED head lamp.

Duct tape one of these to each kid's head. That ought to be enough light.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...560-led?pfm=sp

The old spotlights for the theaters were arc lights as were movie
projectors. The LED's are bright enough for theater spotlights now but I
wonder if some projectors are using LED's as a light source. I seem to
recall movie theaters getting movies in digital format now so I wonder
what those projectors are like?

Digital theater projectors use the TI DLP technology. Basically, they
shine a light at an array of micro-machines mirrors which direct the
light either to the screen or somewhere it can be absorbed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...Digital_cinema

I don't believe LEDs aren't bright enough for theaters, though LED
sources are used for smaller projection monitors. I imagine theaters
use some sort of HID light sources.

Oh well, a backpack for the power supply
and an arc light tied to each kid's head might work. ^_^