Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Who actually owns this 1,000 gallon propane tank?

"Alex Gunderson" wrote in message

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 00:24:08 -0500, dpb wrote:

Clearly you own the property in question; whether the
tank was the previous occupant's to transfer is in doubt

After googling and googling and googling, I've come to the
belated realization that this is a relatively common
situation.

I couldn't find any California statutes, so all I have is
anecdotal forum and usenet situations, all of which have
their myriad details, but it seems like the tank belongs
to whomever can prove they own it.

I went back to my title papers, and there is just no
mention of the tank. Since the serial number is
presumably unique, I am slowly realizing it's probably
their tank, and not mine, as I have thought all this time.

I will call the title insurance company today, to see if
they'll compensate me for my $2,000 loss - but - since
it's not actually mentioned in the paperwork, I doubt
it's something they deal with.

So, now I'm making plans for buying a new tank, and
putting it in myself.

You would be money ahead - way ahead - renting one from your current gas
company. Depending upon how much you use, they might well charge you no
rent; especially if you tell them they can use/have the tank that came with
the house.

--

dadiOH