U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

Default Cheap Freud saw blade

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:55:18 -0700, altoonaPillarRock
wrote:
I was at Home Depot the other day and I saw this red Freud Diablo saw blade
that said "thin line rip" for $27. I thought, gee that's cheaper than what I
see on the internet and I could use a blade like that. The number on the
blade is D1024X.

The blade on the internet is a different model number and more expensive.
Freud has a confusing line of saw blades. What does Diablo stand for?

I have a Powermatic 66 table saw. I buy my oak and cherry planed to
thickness because I don't have a planer or jointer. I use my table saw
mostly for ripping. I want a saw blade that will give me a good glue line.

I use a radial arm saw and miter saw for other operations.

Should I take this blade back and buy something else?

Try it. I might work on your setup. It's a cheap mistake. At worse,
you have a decent blade for rough work.

Diablo blades are "Thin-kerf Contractor" grade. Carbide is a good bit
thinner than on their Freud labeled blades. Thinner carbide means fewer
resharpenings, but it's often cheaper to replace cheap blades than to
resharpen them.

Thin kerf blades are nice on lower-powered saws, but they aren't as
stable as standard kerf blades, so they USUALLY cut rougher.

Your PM saw will probably spin a full-kerf blade. IIRC, Forrest WWI is
a dedicated rip blade. Freud also sells full-kerf "Glue line Rip" in
their more expensive line.

I have a Diablo blade in my CMS most of the time, as it's mostly used
for construction-grade work on green or PT wood.