Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Swamp cooler water feed problem

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 13:57:50 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 05:11:24 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 20:08:57 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 18:33:15 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:10:08 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 02:53:41 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:52:34 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 15:19:13 -0400, micky
wrote:

Maybe you're bending it, and when you're not around, someone is
bending it back.

Don't be silly. If the unit is roof mounted, why would a person do
such a thing?

I don't know the people around him, or why they do things. If
someone can murder 12 people in a morning, someone else can bend a
wire over and over. Maybe it's a joke, like adjusting the waistband
of someone's pants. One shouldn't exclude possibilities just
because they seem unlikely.

The possibility of being hit by an asteroid is so small that I don't
consider the possibility when I get up in the morning. Do you?

He has a problem that needs solving, a mystery. He needs to consider
every possibility.

*EVERY* possibility? I don't think so.

I do.

Now we know you're lying.

How easily some people insult others. I'm not lying. When I have a
mystery problem, until I know the reason for it, I try to consider
every possible reason for it. Of course there is no way to know if
one has considered every possibiltiy

When I wake up in the morning, I don't have a problem that needs
solving and certainly not a mystery.

Seems you don't take your own advice.

??

You didn't solve all the problems, obviously.

a) How do you know that?
b) I never said I did. I said he needs to consider every
possibility, and when I have a mystery problem, I try to consider
every possibility. That doesn't mean I'll think of every one, but
more importantly, even finding the right reason for the problem does
not mean someone will solve the problem. I want to take 3 years off
and travel around the world. And I don't want to stay in group
hostels on this trip. The problem is I don't have the money. Knowing
the problem doesn't solve the problem.

And the odds that a friend is goofing on him are many orders of
magnitude higher than the odds of being hit by an asteroid.

You really must have some nasty "friends".

A) This says nothing about the kind of friends I have. I don't even
have a swamp cooler.

Well, the alternative is that you're incredibly paranoid.

No. It was a hypothetical, and I didn't mention myself or my friends.
It's the OP who has a problem with the swamp cooler.

B) What it does say is how unlikely it is to be hit by an asteroid.
And I'll add, how little one can do about it. If he were to figure
out that his friend was goofing on him, he'd tell him he figured it
out, everyone would laugh, and the friend would stop.

But you just got through saying that you think of everything.

I never said that, and I think you must be a sloppy reader to keep
saying I said things I haven't said. I said that "he needs to
consider every possibility." That doesn't mean he *or I* have thought
of every possible reason his swamp cooler is causing problems.

C) If the friend is just goofing on him, it's not nasty.

Leaks aren't nasty?

It depends on what it leaks on. It might have an overflow that
routes overflows to some harmless location. Or a friend who is
playing with him might not realize that it's actually overflowing
enough to cause damage. The OP didn't say it was causing damage.

Even if the leak turns out to be nasty, that's not enough to say his
friend is nasty. It depends on the friend's intention.

irrelevant babble snipped