Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bad purchase, cheapo table saw

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 00:26:34 -0500, Leon wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 09:42:17 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/26/2013 6:44 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 21:43:35 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Ed
Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/25/2013 9:15 PM, knuttle wrote:

I suspect it is still with in the warranty period I would take it back
so they will be aware of the poor quality. Even it they do not give
your money back you still have accomplished the purpose.

What purpose? Letting some clerk at Lowes know you did not like the
saw? Doubt it goes past there.

Dunno about Lowes, but where I work anything that is flawed and
returned by a customer goes back to the vendor. The store doesn't eat
it.
Depends what product, and the source. A LOT of even non-defective
merchandise goes through the "hammer" because it doesn't sell and is
too expensive to keep warehousing - and if it is a "store brand" it
does NOT go back to the manufacturer - particularly if it is Chinese
(or other foreign) sourced. You should see all the bycycles and other
seasonal goods that end up in the local scrapyard crusher from places
like Wallmart, Canadian Tire, or in the old days, KMart (before they
left Canada)
Defectives are documented and destroyed unless the manufacturer is
really concerned and wants samples to analyze.

Same thing happened with faulty automotive parts replaced under
warranty. Half the time the "road man" for the manufacturer didn't
even want to see the defective parts unless the dealer's warranty
numbers were out of line - then they would do monthly "audits" - and
you better have ALL of the claimed parts available for inspection.
They were then destroyed/disposed of under the auditor's supervision.
(to be sure some crook didn't claim them on another vehicle next
month)

While I agree with both statements, and I kept my warranty parts in a
hot location next to our 8, 200 gallon compressors, this kept the
scrapping by the rep moving along and him not going anal on the
inspection, the big difference here is every one having to refund/credit
the complete price of the purchase. Warranty work is certainly as not
as big of a sting than the expense of shipping the product, getting paid
for the product, refunding the product and dealing with it from that
point.

Typically on the goods that do not go back to the manufacturer, those
that the retailer eats, are purchased at a significantly lower cost to
begin with. The manufacturer does not have to pay for return shipping
and the credits, the retailer does not have to worry about getting
credit and shipping. The retailer expects to eat a percentage of those
type products. They certainly pay attention to the products that they
have to issue refunds on as this is more costly in multiple ways than
simply scraping merchandise that never sold.

Not really. It only FEELS like it costs more to refund at retail than
to scrap unsold merchandise. All it REALLY costs is what the retailer
paid for it unless it is a commission sales outlet. OK, there is a
small portion of the cost of paying the teller, who is paid if that
item sold or not - but in REAL dollars - all it costs to refund a sale
is the cost of the item - when compared to scrapping unsold
merchandise it is the same.

You are missing out on other costs. You loose earned revenue. You have
the added expense of having to deal with the returned product. Your
employees could be doing something productive like selling vs refunding.
Basically you are paying a wage to reverse a sale. If the customer does
not return the product you keep the money from the sale, the transaction
and effort is final. If the customer returns crap product you loose
credibility and trust with the customer.

It would be far better from a business standpoint to never sell the product
than to do so and get it back.
That is business 101

No arguement there - I just said in REAL dollars there is no
difference in cost - and the cost involved in refunding the bad
product could be saved 2 or 3 times over by never shelving the crap in
the first place.

Don't know why retailers insist on selling junk, and American
consumers continue to buy it up at a record pace.