Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default kitchen fire extinguisher on youtube

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've no experience with this third unit, but the
video looks interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yERRltDE1Lg

Oil on the stove fires are rough, because there
is so much heat stored in the oil. Tough to put
the fire out, and have it stay out.

I have had the pleasure of being associated with both of the types of
things that can happen with a oil fire that have been mentioned in this
thread, once directly, and once by way of a story I was told just the other
night.

A few years ago I was talking to a neighbor in her back yard. I was facing
her kitchen window, she was facing away. Suddenly we heard beeping and she
said "Is that a smoke detector?" I replied, "Yes it is. Your kitchen is on
fire!"

We ran inside to find a frying pan on fire. While she ran around with her
thumb up her butt looking for a fire extinguisher, I calmly grabbed the
cover that was right next to the pan and covered it. Problem
solved....other than the scorched cabinets above the stove.

Just the other night a different neighbor told me what his father-in-law
had done when he had a grease fire in a frying pan. He tried to carry the
burning pan through the house to the back door to throw it in the backyard.
Unfortunately he spilled burning oil in a number of spots, which spread the
fire and did extensive damage to the house.

Luckily he just kept going out of the house once he realized that he was
trailing fire. No one was hurt, but the family room needed a lot of repair.