Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Boiler help

On 9/26/2013 10:41 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:30:27 AM UTC-4, willshak wrote:
ChloeP wrote:

I recently moved into an older property, from early 1950s, and we've got

an oil burning boiler that's at least 20 years old if not older.

I want to replace it with something more efficient but don't know

whether to go for gas or electric.

I presume electric is more efficient but more expensive, I'm not sure it

evens out in the end.

Also I need recommendations for contractors in the Houston area. I've

searched online and found these guys 'Houston Plumber | Air Conditioner

| Heating Services | Aramendia' (
http://www.aramendiahouston.com)

but being new to the area I'd like some actual recommendations before I

start ringing around.

I've read all the responses up to this date.

Another expense to consider is that when converting from oil to any

other fuel or electricity there is the expense of the removal of the oil

in the tank and either filling the now empty buried tank with an

appropriate filler (I would use concrete to prevent the tank caving in)

or the removal of the above ground tank.

http://inspectapedia.com/oiltanks/oiltend.htm

Good point, that is one other factor. And if it's an
old tank or likely old, then it's one more MAJOR factor
to consider in the decision to switch fuels. Meaning
that even aside from switching to gas to save energy
costs, an old oil tank is a problem even if you don't
convert and continue using the old system. If it's in
the basement and it starts to leak, I would think it
would usually happen with a small leak that you'd
probably smell, see, etc. before it gets really bad.
But maybe they can suddenly spring bigger leaks too?

If it's underground, it can be leaking and you'd never
know it until the ground is contaminated big time. And
then it becomes a very expensive problem. I don't know
what the best practice recommendations are, but if it
were me, I'd be concerned about any tank that is 20+ years
old for sure. And I'd be checking with neighbors on
any experiences they've had with similar tanks. The
age of the tank might be the thing that is the driving
issue that makes converting to gas the best course of action.

Filling the tank with concrete wouldn't be my first choice.
It creates another potential problem, ie that if you ever
need to excavate that area for something, eg running some
pipe, septic system, house addition, etc you now have a
huge concrete mass. Sand or gravel sounds like a much
better and cheaper alternative, which is what I've seen
used here in NJ.

I recall a story about a homeowner who had the old oil tank removed from
their basement when switching to a natural gas boiler. The filler
for the old tank was still outside and you guessed it, an oil supply
truck driver hooked up to the tankless filler and quite a few gallons
were dumped into the home's basement. It would be common sense to block
or remove the filler to any old oil tank to keep such a mistake from
happening. ^_^

TDD