Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solid Fuses: Visible Indicator If Blown?

Sounds miserable. I'd not want to hit a nail
with my head, in any situation.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/25/2013 11:42 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 20:31:11 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 9/25/2013 6:58 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 16:19:51 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

=====================================
20 Items to Hoard Check list
When a crisis is brewing, making a comprehensive list of supplies is no
easy task… neither is purchasing them.
As panic spreads, super market shelves will be stripped bare in a matter
of hours. Contrary to popular belief, super markets don’t have tons of
excess inventory. What you see on the shelves is what they’ve got in
most cases.
We see it almost every time a major hurricane targets a populated area.
Desperate shoppers buy up every last can of beans, flashlight, and
bottled water in a 50-mile radius.
If you’re smart, you won’t be standing in line at the grocery store when
the SHTF. You’ll already have that taken care of…
Because you’ve read through this checklist to make sure you have
everything your family needs to survive a crisis. Here are our Top 20
Items to Hoard:
1. Rice – Dried rice has an incredibly long shelf life, making it ideal
for storage. In nutritional terms, rice is rich in starch and
carbohydrates. It’s also a good source of Vitamin B, iron, and protein.
2. Beans, Lentils, Black-eyed peas – Legumes are a great source of
protein, iron, and dietary fiber. Like rice, which they’re traditionally
served with, dried beans have an exceptionally long shelf life.
3. Candles – You’ll probably never read a disaster preparedness list
that doesn’t include candles, and for good reason. A good stock of
slow-burning emergency candles is a survival essential, as well as
something to light them with.
4. Cigarette Lighters – I recommend stashing a combo pack of at least 6
lighters in your stockpile. In a power outage, these guys can become
very, very important. The can also be very easy to misplace.
5. Pasta – Pasta stores well, has a long shelf life, and it’s loaded
with carbohydrates. It’s also easy to prepare. Not to mention, pasta
pairs well with lots of other items on this list.
6. Peanut Butter – Hoarded by everyone from college students to doomsday
survivalists, and for many of the same reasons, peanut butter is a
tasty, shelf stable source of protein that pairs with lots of other items.
7. Can Opener/Multi-Tool – It’s a good idea to carry a survival knife,
but it’s a great idea to carry a quality multi-tool, like a Leatherman.
A Leatherman comes in handy almost every day under normal circumstances
and could be used as a weapon in a pinch.
8. Dried fruits, such as raisins, apricots, and papaya – Dried fruits
are a great source of nutrients, calories, potassium, and fiber. They
can also be added to nuts to make delicious trail mixes.
9. Energy bars – Since these bars are typically loaded with carbs and
protein by design, they’re actually a good choice for your survival
storage (maximum nutrition with minimal effort and prep).
10. Canned soups and chili – Canned soups are easy to prepare and offer
a nice variety of ingredients for the effort. Look for low-sodium
options. Premium brands may be healthier, but value brands will make
your money go further.
11. Gauze/Bandages – For more serious injuries, you’ll want to keep a
supply of dedicated gauze and bandages.
12. Rubbing Alcohol – Rubbing alcohol burns on an open wound, but it is
a great way to sterilize instruments, surfaces, and the skin surrounding
a wound.
13. Batteries – Obviously, you’ll need to coordinate your battery
storage plan with any of the flashlights, radios, or other devices you
may keep in your emergency stockpile. Batteries will last longest in
cool dry conditions, but should be rotated out of your emergency supply
on a yearly basis.
14. Toilet Paper – Running out of toilet paper is annoying in any
situation. But you certainly don’t want to run out in a shelter-in-place
crisis scenario. My advice is to get more than enough. Life can get messy.
15. Trash Bags – Trash will still need to be properly disposed of, even
in a crisis. In fact, trash bags are even more important in a crisis. If
running water is unavailable, trash bags may have to double as a toilet.
Don’t skimp here.
16. Firearms – Last but certainly not least, you’re going to need some
type of weapon, just in case. It doesn’t have to be a gun, but then
again what else are you willing to risk your family’s safety on, a
sword? Pepper spray?
17. Drinking Water – Most experts recommend a 2-week supply of water in
your emergency storage. A 72-hour supply is the bare minimum. A water
filter can help you extend you supply by allowing you to reuse cooking
water.
18. Hand-Crank Radio – Hand crank radios offer the ability to listen to
important communications when power and cell networks are down. Some
hand crank radios even offer a USB charging functionality.
19. Camp Stove – There are a million options available for this purpose
– everything from handy backpacking stoves to heavy-duty outdoor ranges
– but it’s hard to beat the old self-contained Coleman camp stove.
20. Flashlights – When it comes to flashlights, I have two
recommendations, and neither one is expensive. First, find a comfortable
LED headlamp. Second, rather than finding the brightest, most high-tech
available, invest in a Maglite that runs on simple AA batteries.
areas on the floor. In this condition, I've had my sweat soaked shirt
tail touch a ground while I was working on a panel. Salt water and sweat
conduct electricity very, very well. o_O

TDD
As a kid I had salvaged a power supply out of an ancient TV that
didn't use a flyback system - the main power transformer had taps
from, IIRC, 3.5 volts to 25000 volts. The high voltage was at the
opposite end from the low voltage. I needed the low voltage to test a
small motor I was working on, but I grabbed the wires on the wrong
end. I must mention the basement ceiling was something like 5 1/2 ft
to the floor decking, about 42 inches to the bottom of the joists. I
was just under six feet tall at the time. I straightened up fery
quickly and my rock-hard skull caught the end of a nail that held the
1/4" unserlay to the sub-floor, and I popped the head of that nail
through the linoleum flooring in the living room above.

OUCH!! How deep was the hole in your skull or have you always had a hard
head? ^_^

TDD

It bled a bit, but I guess I've always been a bit hard headed.
If anyone told be I had rocks in my head, I'd just take it for
granite.