Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default Smart Electricity meters - Should I want one

On 23/09/2013 11:11, fred wrote:
In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 10:42:14 +0100, Gazz wrote:

what's wrong with a couple of 6 inch nails, rubber gloves and a jump
lead if/when they do a remote disconnect?

Bit obvious when they come and read ... oh smart meter no need to
physically read it so they won't be sending a meter reader round as
that is expensive.

Currently isn't there a statutory requirement on the suppliers to
physically read the meter at least every six months? Wonder if that
will change if you have a smart meter and if it does how long before
they "voluntarily" start "reading" smart meters so they can spot such
obvious thefts...

I think it's every 2 years although I have seen that slip when met with,
"you can read it at 8am on the NNth, after that I will be out of the
country for 6mths", guess what, no visit and no more reminders.

It is every two years and they're strict about it, getting pushy as it
approaches ... until they fail to turn up for the appointment they've
made with you and you've taken time off work for, when suddenly, they
magically don't need to see it!

SteveW