Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Swamp cooler water feed problem

On 25 Sep 2013 18:18:23 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

On 25 Sep 2013 17:56:37 GMT, KenK wrote:

The water level in my swamp cooler is consistantly too high and
sometimes overflows. The valve has a thick wire to the float. I bend
the float down until the water only starts flowing at the proper
level. It won't stay set correctly. After a while - hours or days -
the level is too high again. The float is not leaking. All I can think
of is the float is somehow bending the wirw? Seems impossible - it is
hard to bend.

Suggestions?

Yes, I know, change the valve assembly. However, I'm still in cooling
season here in AZ and hate to try to change it. These things have a
way of being a lot more trouble than expected. I don't want to have to
work for hours in the hot sun. What could possibly go wrong? Leave it
to me; I'll find something!

In some thirty years I never had this problem before!

TIA

Is it possible the float is turning (rotating) some how on the float
arm? Enough to change the water level?

Thanks.

I don't see any sign of it. The float looks the same after the level
chenges.

I'd try filling the water level to the desired level (opinion here),
then pushing the float under water and bending the arm down. That
would seem to make the valve close earlier, so water would not reach
the higher level.

You did check the float has no water inside (I presume since you said
it was not leaking)? What if you took the float off and shook it to
see if it has water already inside (sunken float).

(My pool had a faulty filler valve that caused the pool to overfill.
The seller fixed it - replaced, before I bought the house.)

Does the SC valve have an adjustment screw?