Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Motorized Knee , Iggy, Anybody? (milling machines guys, not bionics)

Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

Here my powered knee:

I also hardly move my knee except to accommodate short or tall work.

So, I just removed the crank handle and castellated drive hub, and
installed a normal B'port-style auto-feed motor where the handle should
go. "Handle up" for up, and "handle down" for down, with a speed dial.
It almost seems like they made those motors for just that purpose! I had
to drill and tap two 1/4-20 holes in the knee casting to mount the motor.

Works a treat. The table/knee slide combo is fairly heavy on the Series
1 rigid ram machines, but the motor never strains raising it, even at
'creep' speeds.

Lloyd