Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic[_4_] azotic[_4_] is offline

Default Electromagnetic chuck on a Boyar-Schultz 612 grinder

"Ignoramus20545" wrote in message
As part of a scrap deal, I purchased a nonworking Anca Fastgrind CNC
tool and cutter grinder, a coolant tank with numerous pumps and
motorized screen, and a Boyar Schultz 612 Deluxe surface grinder with
a dust collector and an electromagnetic chuck. The total cost was
$150 for everything, I had to remove.

Anyway, supposedly, the only thing wrong with the Boyar-Schultz
grinder is that "the EM chuck does not work". I tried to diagnose it a
bit today. I found out that the chuck itself works, if I apply DC
current to it from a power supply, it becomes magnetic. So, my
thinking goes, the power supply is bad. If so, what alternatives do I
have? Would any 90v DC power supply work, if it can provide enough
current? Is there anything special about the magnet's power supply?

Nothing special. Does the switch to the chuck also have a de-magnatize
position? If it does that position provides AC to the chuck to de-magnatize
the part being held. Just keep track of the wiring and you should be ok.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/