Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Wooden patio

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 9/23/2013 8:19 AM, Qqueen wrote:
Hi everyone,

Will a wooden ' patio ' (http://www.woodlandspatio.com/) require a lot
of maintenance and can anyone share some tips to cut down on these
maintenance costs?

After installing mini wood patios under my lawn swings that held up for
many years, I went ahead and laid a full size wood patio made from
squares of treated decking lumber. I liked it so well, I installed an
even larger patio linked to the original patio a few years later. The
patios are on a simple sand base. I didn't bother with sealing or
staining, I just let them weather to gray.

Advantages of wood vs cement or brick pavers:

Lighter weight pavers, which makes for easier handling and installation/removal
Much cooler surface in hot weather - wood doesn't absorb heat the way brick and concrete do
Has a smoother surface, with a tiny bit of 'give', making it more comfortable to walk upon
More permeable (due to the spaces between the planks) than brick pavers,
which makes them a better choice for installing in close proximity to trees

Disadvantages:

Underside not smooth, making installation a little more tedious since the
center (between the crosspieces) is that little bit deeper
Some pieces of planking may be prone to cupping, which is exacerbated
during lengthy dry spells

Neutral:

If it isn't stained or weatherproofed it will weather to grey
More informal looking than bricks or pavers

It works very well for me. OTOH, I have neighbors who had an elaborate
and very beautiful brick patio installed. They love their patio and I
admire it immensely - but for myself, I prefer wood.

I'm going to look into these for a walkway and even maybe even refacing a
stoop.

www.azek.com/landscape-pavers

With the forms, it seems like it would be tough to screw up.