Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Drilling and tapping stainless

On 21/09/2013 20:38, Andy Burns wrote:
Bob H wrote:

To drill stainless steel, use a slow speed drill, and don't put too much
pressure on the drill. Also, I strongly recommend you use proper metal
cutting fluid or paste.

I've just remembered somewhere with a substantial pillar drill I can
probably talk my way into using ...

Yes you *definitely* need a pillar drill, and a good centre punch mark
to start. And clamp the pipe securely, ideally in a proper machine vice.
Wrap with cardboard to prevent marking.

Low speed, but IME quite high pressure. And a sharp drill.

See if you can find someone with a tin of trefolex cutting compound,
ideally for the drilling but especially for the tapping. And definitely
tap by hand, with frequent reversals (each time it starts to tighten
significantly) to clear swarf.