Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solid Fuses: Visible Indicator If Blown?

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:41:19 AM UTC-4, Tegger wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote in

:

Since we're splitting hairs, and using italics,

I'll add a netpick. Voltage doesn't travel through

wires, amperes do.

I can netpick as well as anybody else he Current travels ON wires, not

THROUGH them.

You're trying to claim what exactly? That the current density inside
a wire is zero? In my world, it's correct to say current travels
through wires. Unless you're dealing with high frequencies, where
the skin effect becomes of significance.

And Daring's statement was accurate as stated, at least
with regard to what you're objecting to:

"First I check for voltage on either end of a fuse to ground then
across the fuse, a good fuse should measure zero volts across it "

I can see raising issue with something that isn't clear or
correct. But raising spurious issues that just confuse the
correct answer is pointless. If there is anything that is
wrong with the statement, it's that it should say a good fuse
will measure "near zero volts" across it when it's in an energized
circuit. A bad one will have typically
have a large amount of voltage across it with the circuit powered.
Example, take a 100W light bulb in a 120V circuit with a 5 amp fuse.
Fuse OK, it will read very close to zero volts across the fuse.
Fuse blown, it will read ~120V. The impedance of the meter, how
the current splits between the meter and the circuit, etc
is just noise, unless it's some very unusual circuit where
the impedance of a typical VOM is going to matter because it's
of significance compared to the circuit.