Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart Electricity meters - Should I want one

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Currently isn't there a statutory requirement on the suppliers to
physically read the meter at least every six months? Wonder if that
will change if you have a smart meter

Not so much as a whisper from either gas or elec meter readers since
mine were fitted 15 months ago.

A few weeks before that that they'd played the "we need to do a safety
inspection" card after I let too many estimates happen in succession,
they turned up on the agreed date, I asked are you here to do a safety
inspection, he said "no mate, I'm just here to read the meter" ... ok
probably they have a cursory safety glance at every meter they read.