Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default how to replace ceiling fan with light?

On 09/21/2013 04:14 PM, RBM wrote:
On 9/21/2013 2:27 PM, wrote:
Have been commissioned to remove ceiling fan and install a ceiling light
(she no longer wants fan) so anyway took fan down and there are 4
wires..........what is the red wire for? I am thinking black and
white and
ground are all that is needed for a light and to just tape red wire
and not
connect. any advise appreciated.

Your typical light-fan would have two switches. One for the fan and one
for the light. Locate the switches, find which switch controls the red
wire, and which switch controls the black wire, decide which switch/wire
you want to use for your light. Either disconnect the other switch or
leave it in place and use electric tape or wire nut on non used wire in
ceiling box, and hang your light fixture and connect to neutral, ground,
and whichever hot leg you've decided upon.

ORR... one of them is controlled by the wall switch and the other is
always hot, homeowner uses wall switch to control light and pull chain
for fan (I've seen that more often than not.)

I've also seen some electricians use the red for switched and others the
black. I personally would probably use the red but check.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel