Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default how to replace ceiling fan with light?

On 9/21/2013 5:50 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 9/21/2013 4:14 PM, RBM wrote:
On 9/21/2013 2:27 PM, wrote:
Have been commissioned to remove ceiling fan and install a ceiling
light
(she no longer wants fan) so anyway took fan down and there are 4
wires..........what is the red wire for? I am thinking black and
white and
ground are all that is needed for a light and to just tape red wire
and not
connect. any advise appreciated.

Your typical light-fan would have two switches. One for the fan and one
for the light. Locate the switches, find which switch controls the red
wire, and which switch controls the black wire, decide which switch/wire
you want to use for your light. Either disconnect the other switch or
leave it in place and use electric tape or wire nut on non used wire in
ceiling box, and hang your light fixture and connect to neutral, ground,
and whichever hot leg you've decided upon.

I have three ceiling fans in my home and all are controlled by one
switch. I believe that is the typical set-up but I've been wrong
before. If two switches, then he does need to find which switch powers
the light then disable the other.

Capping a wire and tucking back into a box is not a fire hazard
providing it's nutted securely and taped. Otherwise, if one wants to
pull wires from the box, walls, etc. to feel more secure, it's their
home, go for it.

That may be a typical setup if a fan was installed at a location that
was intended for a light fixture. When the installation was intended for
a fan, it is typical for a professional, to install a three wire cable
from the switch location to facilitate both a fan and a light, as well
as a fan support box. Since the OP mentions a three wire cable, it was
most likely an installation intended for a separately switched fan and
light. FYI either electric tape or a wire nut will suffice to insulate a
live unused conductor