Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default rifling button pusher

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 17:24:20 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

I plan to use a press brake bottom die as a "V" block. Then two
barrels clamped and held straight. Top one is just scrap for a guide.
bottom of top barrel bored out just a bit to hold the button. Put
button in bottom of top barrel and the long HSS push rod. Clamp it all
together in line. Press a bit, retract, put in short piece of HSS -
maybe 4", press a bit, put in another HSS stick, repeat.

Karl

How will you ensure the button rotates at the proper twist rate? I know
it should self rotate, but with all that force pressing on the back
there had better be some good lube to let it turn.

The head of the pusher needs to be ground to 0.25" and there's a
special pressing lube to keep it flooded in. Other than that, its on
its own.

I'll know a lot more about this after doing it. The author of the
book "Rifling Machines and Methods", Cliff LaBounty, contacted me
today with suggestions. Looks like he's willing to mentor me. And he'd
like to see how folks have followed his work for a possible book
addition.

Karl