Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Drilling and tapping stainless

In article , Jim Hawkins
writes
Bob H wrote:

To drill stainless steel, use a slow speed drill, and don't put too
much pressure on the drill. Also, I strongly recommend you use proper
metal cutting fluid or paste.

You said you were going to tap the drilled holes, so make sure you use
the correct sized drill bit for the tap size.You can do a search for
that. Well I've done it for you:
http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tab...ictapdrill.htm

I have only had about 30 odd years experience in the engineering
trade, so I know nothing, lol.

Good luck

Taps come in setrs of three - taper, second cut and final cut.
use them in that order in a hand tap wrench, and do it very slowly,
in a series of small cuts - one or two turns cutting followed by a few
turns in reverse to clear the swarf from the flutes of the tap.
Lubricate with white spirit.

Whilst true for a blind hole there is no need to run anything but a
taper for 2mm material with plenty of clearance behind.

I'd be a lot more worried about using cheese type HSS taps in stainless
for a bottom hole but I would certainly have a go with one on thin
material. For this I would view excess force as a warning of impending
breakage and an invitation to back off (breaking the swarf) before
resuming.

With cobalt drills being so reasonably priced these days I would buy 2
or 3 for the job, just in case, they will make it sooo much easier, they
really are a joy to use but more brittle. No need for a pilot at that
diameter but an automatic (or manual) centre punch will make centring
easier.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .